Hersham                          2

Keens Park Rangers    1 

Goals: Vic Hamilton 

IT is back to back defeats for Keens Park Rangers, although both performances gave plenty of positives to take away. 

After last week’s second half display against the University of Surrey, KPR took momentum into the game away at Hersham on a lovely playing surface. 

In a largely even and hard-fought contest, it was two momentary lapses in concentration that ultimately cost the Gold and Blacks. 

However, James Nixon & Gary Mitchell’s side will rue chances missed throughout the game. 

The Match 

KPR started fast and did not allow the home side to settle, limiting them to hopeful long balls in the early stages. 

Michael Woods’ tireless running up top gained the side valuable territory higher up the pitch, allowing the midfield to join in more than in previous weeks. 

A much better playing surface also saw KPR more confident in possession, with some neat play fashioning the first real chance of the game. 

A slick move saw James Nixon in space, with the Hersham goalkeeper making himself big to deny the first effort and claim the tamely hit follow up. 

Buoyed by their early endeavors, KPR continued to hustle and harry their opponents in a solid first half display. 

With clear-cut chances hard to come by, Bruce McPhail tried his luck from all of 40 yards to see his strike rattle the inside of the post as KPR came closest to opening the scoring in the first half. 

The second half continued in similar fashion, although the home side controlled possession better and started to show more attacking threat. 

KPR did threaten on the counterattack throughout, with Woods nearly seeing rewards for his marathon efforts when he ran through on goal, but like McPhail saw his shot bounce across goal after hitting the upright. 

Substitute and former Brighton under-12 Ryan Midgley nearly marked his call-up with a goal, although the finish did not quite match the pace and power that led up to it. 

Winger Vic Hamilton put KPR ahead with a delicate dinked finish after a set-piece straight from the training ground… or something like that. 

With the deadlock broken, chaos ensued in the following five minutes. 

Seemingly from kick-off, Hersham capitalized on some lackluster defending to draw level, before then taking the lead following a routine ball over the top. 

The team, led by Chris Butler, never gave up but could not find an equalizer in a game that could have gone either way. 

In a match that saw strong performances across the pitch, there are plenty of positives to take into the international break. 

Keens Parks Rangers is a Guildford, Surrey based football club and we are always looking for new players and sponsorship opportunities. Get in touch with us through our website or our social channels.


This match report is sponsored by Broadstreet Cars